Thursday, March 31, 2011

yummm

I am a baker.
  I like to cook.
But I Lu-hu-huve to bake.
I bake when I am happy. 
I bake when I am sad.
I even bake when I am angry. 
It is so relaxing and it fills my home with happiness.
  In fact, I try to make a goal of having freshly baked goods on a plate in my kitchen everyday
It really does make for a happier home. 
I bake everything from bread and muffins to candy and snacks.  But the thing I bake most are your ordinary chocolate chip cookies.  Well, they aren't so ordinary.  I am proud to say that they are MY chocolate chip cookies, and to say the least they rock socks off. 
Yes, I am bragging here.  
They really are awesome.
  Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside.
MMmm so good.  

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbs. vanilla*
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Mix your flour, salt and baking soda with a whisk while your butter is melting on the stove top.  After butter melts, stir in both sugars until combined.  Add in your vanilla and eggs. **Then, mix in your dry ingredients.  After that is combined (it is going to be a lot stickier than most cookie doughs) add in your chocolate chips.  Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out cookies and put on sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  
I like my cookies to be golden brown, and not very dark on the bottom, but others may want them to be in longer which is just fine too.  

* I use Molina Mexican Vanilla.  For those of you that don't know what that is, here is a picture

I think that EVERYONE should give this a try.  I personally prefer it to regular pure vanilla in taste and cost.  It has a little bit of spice to it that makes it smell and taste wonderful.  And and at about 2 bucks for over 8 oz, you really can't beat the price!
** I stopped using an electric mixer about 2 years ago.  Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful and I use them when I need to whip things or I need to get a really smooth batter, but for the most part I find that a wooden spoon really makes great baked goods (plus it is good exercise, ha! )



3 comments:

Caty said...

Do you know how happy this makes me? Your cookies are the BOMB! And I didn't know if it was a family secret recipe or something. But I was definitely going to ask for the recipe when I return your plate (which will be soon ;).

Thank you for this!

Beth said...

ahh, yes! I definitely needed a better recipe for these cookies. Thanks for sharing. Gonna have to give it a try on the wonderful general conference day!

Beth said...

omg Sara....you are amazing!!!! Those cookies were wonderful. Definitely not going to be able to make them too much, Dustin and I will get real fat, real quick lol. Thanks for the awesomeness!